Name of the park: At the end of the eighteenth century, there was Billiard Club of Armenians in Dhaka. The locals called the entrance. The billiard balls were called locals called anta. From there, the word ‘anantghar’ came from. There was also ground or field with the club house known as the Anantagar Maidan. In 1858, after receiving the governorship of Queen Victoria, India, the commissioner of the Dhaka Division read out a declaration in this regard.
Since then this place has been named ‘Victoria Park’. Until 1957 the park was known as Victoria Park. After the Sepoy rebellion of 1857, the English rulers hanged some revolutionary Sepoy after a provocative trial. Then, to scare the people, the soldiers of the sepoys were hanged in the branches of trees in the field. On the occasion of celebrating the centenary of Sepoy rebellion in 1957 (accordingly 1961), the park was renamed as Bahadur Shah Park. The Sepoy revolt was held to end the rule of the British, to bring the Mughal Emperor Bahadur Shah II’s rule back. According to him, his new name was ‘Bahadur Shah Park.’
Details of Bahadur Shah Park: The Park is surrounded by oval and iron railings. There are two main gates on the east and west sides. Inside the park, there is a paved road on the side of the railing. The park is situated in the head of Laksmibazar, one of the main river ports of Dhaka, in Sadarghat area. There are seven roads surrounding the park. It is considered one of the most important areas of Old Dhaka due to its presence along with several important governmental establishments, schools, and colleges.
The St. Thomas Church on the north side of the park, the tank constructed to supply the first water of Dhaka situated on the north side. In the northeast, there is one of the most popular colleges in Dhaka, Nazrul Government College, and Islamia High School, on the east, there is one of the oldest schools in Dhaka, the official Muslim school, Jagannath University in the south-west corner.
Dhaka’s Judge Court is located just north of the park. Apart from this, some main areas like Dhaka, Islampur, Shakhari Bazar and some of the most important areas of Dhaka are coming to new areas of Dhaka; the main road is the main road in this park area.
The monument inside the park: The memorial of this park is a structure of four-quarters standing on four pillars. There is a dome above. On the other side, there is an Oblix, which reminds the ascendancy of Queen Victoria’s throne as the empire of the British Empire and India.
Historical description of Park: The English bought it in the first half of the decade of the nineteenth century. They make it a park and surrounded by iron around it and placed four spectacular guns on its four corners. Soon after the place got worn out, it was created like ground in the initiative of Nawab Abdul Ghani. There were still many Armenians living around it. In 1840, it was a round-the-clock garden in some places (according to the information given by historians).
Nabab Abdul Gani and Nawab Ahsan Ullah of Dhaka were patrons of the clash. In addition to billiards, the English players played racquet, tennis, badminton, and chat. Here party functions also were organized. According to the history and old documents of Dhaka Club, there was one acre of Dhaka Club near the AtagorMaidan (SutrapurMouza: Khatian: 614, Plot 664-665). According to the old employees, the Dhaka Club provided rent for three acres of land till 1952.
In the twentieth century, when the power and influence of the Nawabs of Dhaka were reduced, their contribution towards the club decreased. To organize races on Race Course ground in Dhaka and for other requirements, the English shifted the Dhaka Club to Shahbagh area. In 1857, the field earned special recognition. On 22nd November 1857, the English Marine army attacked the Lalbagh Fort in Dhaka to disarm local soldiers. But if the sepahars were barred, the war would be tied.
They were sentenced to death by a brief marshal by bringing the soldiers wounded and fleeing the war. After the trial, 11 soldiers were hanged publicly in front of the entrance grounds. The bodies were kept hanging on the tree for many days to frighten the local people. After this incident, the dhabas were afraid to walk around the ground for a long time, because the horror stories spread about this place.
After the suppression of the Sepoy Mutiny, the English created a monument in the Atamagara ground in memory of their soldiers. After the four British artisans laid out in the four corners of the Armenian club room, they were raised around and parked around this park. Nawab Abdul Ghani’s contribution was to develop the park. After the death of his grandson KhwajaHafizullah, he set up a memorial in 1884, to raise his contribution to the memory of his English friends Mr. Hafizullah. In 1957, a memorial was constructed in this place by the initiative of Dhaka Improvement Trust (DIT) on the occasion of 100 years of sepoy mutiny.
Khwaja Hafizullah Memorial: Khwaja Hafizullah was a memorial monument Khkhaja Hafizullah was the eldest son of Nawab Sir KhwajaAhsanullah of Dhaka. Everyone thought that he would be the next Nawab of Dhaka and cared for him with care. But in 1884, when the sudden death of Hafizullah, the Nawab family and the city of Dhaka responded with fury. NawabAhsanullah of the son’s son became ill.
Due to boyhood, the English entertainer NawabAhsanullah did not make any arrangements for his pleasure. Then the English created a memorial monument for the next generation to make Nawab happy and to keep KhwajaHafizullah’s memory alive.
A massive memorial made of granite stone was brought to the ship from Kolkata’s Indian capital, Kolkata. Around the pillars are smooth and made of chalk. There are two hand-carved skulls in the beginning. On 17th February 1885, a small lath sahib of Banga inaugurated the KhwajaHafizullah Memorial Stamp with a stylized one at 4:30 pm on Tuesday.
How to go: From anywhere in Dhaka, you can go to Sadarghatgami bus, Human haler, CNG, Tempo or Rickshaw.